Re: SATA: Is "DPO and FUA" ever supported?

Hello, I wrote.

On each and every machine out there, and on every dmesg
output posted on numerous mailinglists, I see messages
similar to this:

scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access ATA ST3250620NS 3.AE PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
SCSI device sda: 488397168 512-byte hdwr sectors (250059 MB)
SCSI device sda: write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA

for SATA disk drives.  And I wonder -- are those features
supported at all by linux,

   FUA is surely supported by libata.

and/or are there disk drives out there which supports it as well?

Don't know, the bits have just quite recently been included into ATA spec, IIRC...

   FUA was introduced by ATA/PI-7.  There's no DPO support.

For my Seagate ST3250620NS SATA drive (it's a "server" drive,
whatever it means), I can see -- at least --

           *    Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE
           *    FLUSH_CACHE_EXT

reported by hdparm -I.  I wonder what "FLUSH CACHE EXT" means,

It reports LBA48 of a failing sector while FLUSH CACHE can only report LBA28.

   I meant the sector which failed to be written to.

and whenever it can be used to support DPO and/or FUA...

DPO and FUA bits are a part of SCSI CDB and so only affect the block range specified by the command in question while FLUSH CACHE [EXT] operates on the whole cache -- so, it's not equivalent.

And yet I didn't name the reason of the non-equivalency for DPO: this bit effectively prohibits drive cache replacement to occur as a result of a command in question -- this simply has nothing to do with flushing.

Thanks.

/mjt

MBR, Sergei
-