Re: Data corruption with sata_sil (Sil 3112)

> I've been having problems with Sil 3112 cards I purchased for additional
> SATA ports resulting in read data corruption, about 3-5 instances over
> 2 GB of data, 100% reproducible.
..
> I just rebuilt the entire box with the remains of another (went from
> A7V8X (VIA) to A7N8X (NVidia), new CPU, new RAM, new power supply),
> thinking the problem was related to the motherboard.  The issue followed
> to the new box.

Have you tried different disks?  I recently spent a long time trying
to track down the same sort of problem and it ended up being a bad
HD (not a media failure, so SMART didn't report it).

> This new motherboard has an onboard Sil 3112 as well.  The old onboard
> was VIA SATA, which did not corrupt anything.  The Sil 3112 onboard now
> does too.

Maybe the VIA controller was only 1.5 Gbps and your 3112 controllers
are running at 3.0 Gbps?  Some drives have a jumper that lets you
limit their operation to 1.5, which you could try.

> Scipt used to md5sum to find corruption:
>
> 	find $* -type f -print0 | sort -z | xargs -0 md5sum

Can you figure out the nature of the corruption?  Flipped bit, entire
blocks corrupted, etc?  Maybe make two big identical files and use
"cmp -l" to see how they read differently.

-jim

-