Re: [Fwd: Re: PATCH: libata: add support for ATA_16 on ATAPI]

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Mark Lord wrote:
Jeff?
This has been pending for a very long time now.

This patch brings libata up to similar standards as Linux IDE
with support for things like hdparm -I (identify) and -C (check power)
among others on ATAPI drives.

Andrew, can you pick this up for -mm ??

???

My reluctance stems mainly from the modifications to the hot path. ATA and ATAPI need wholly different command simulations, so I don't like your modification of sending both ATA and ATAPI devices to the same simulation function -- only to have to disambiguate with an ATA-or-ATAPI test.

I would rather keep the branch in the queuecommand hook the same. That should keep the ATA device callpath unchanged, while enabling what you want on the ATAPI callpath.

Sure thing.  Just elaborate a teensy bit more on what's going on inside
Jeff's mind, and I'll code something up to mimic.

Thanks.
-