Re: Kernel 2.6.18 and above

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
On Friday 20 April 2007, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
I'm CC'ing linux-ide... looks like the disk which you say is 20GB is
misdetected by the IDE layer as being 2GB.
..
And here you can see that the partition map tries to use about 20GB...
so there is a discrepancy between what the partition map says and what
the IDE driver says. I suspect old kernel just ignores the later, while
newer kernels enforce the limit which causes your problem.

Bart, I'm a bit at lost as to why the device size would be misdetected,
do you have an idea ? Might be worth getting a dump of the ID block...
Mike, can you send us a dump of the binary file /proc/ide/hdb/identify ?

Since this is a 2.6.17->2.6.18 regression narrowing the problem down to
the specific changeset (or at least -git or even -rc) seems like a most
promising way in discovering the source of the issue.

Oddly enough, the IDENTIFY data that was posted shows this:

       CHS current addressable sectors:    4128768
       LBA    user addressable sectors:   40188960

So, using CHS it appears as a 2GB drive, but using LBA we get a 20GB drive.
Is something mistakenly using CHS instead of LBA ??

-ml
-