Re: [RFT] sata_promise: decode and report error reasons

Mikael Pettersson wrote:
 > 2. PDC_SERR_FIS_TYPE is more close to AC_ERR_HSM.

FIS_TYPE is described as reception of a FIS with a good CRC but
unrecognised type field. I can make it AC_ERR_HSM if that's more
appropriate.

AC_ERR_HSM is how other drivers currently handle "unknown FIS received" condition.

AC_ERR_HSM is generally used for any sort of protocol violation. Successful reception of an unexpected FIS would be a reasonable candidate for that, though perhaps for SATA it's easiest to just note and ignore unknown FIS's.

 > > +		ata_ehi_push_desc(ehi, ", serror 0x%08x", serror);
 > > +	}
 > > +	if (port_status & PDC_DRIVE_ERR)
 > > +		err_mask |= AC_ERR_DEV;
 > > +	if (port_status & PDC2_HTO_ERR)
 > > +		err_mask |= AC_ERR_TIMEOUT;
> > What does HTO mean? Host time out? Until now, AC_ERR_TIMEOUT has been
 > used to indicate that driver side timeout has expired and I'd like to
 > keep it that way.

Yes, HTO is "host bus timeout" which is described as the host bus being
busy more than 256 clock (I guess PCI) cycles for an ATA I/O transfer.

If not AC_ERR_TIMEOUT, then what? AC_ERR_HOST_BUS?

AC_ERR_HOST_BUS sounds applicable, yes.

 > > +	if (port_status & (PDC_UNDERRUN_ERR | PDC_OVERRUN_ERR | PDC2_ATA_DMA_CNT_ERR
 > > +			   | PDC2_ATA_HBA_ERR))
 > > +		err_mask |= AC_ERR_ATA_BUS;
> > AC_ERR_ATA_BUS indicates transmission errors on the ATA bus. AC_ERR_HSM
 > (host state machine/protocol violation), AC_ERR_HOST_BUS (host/PCI BUS
 > error) or AC_ERR_SYSTEM (other system errors) seems more appropriate for
 > the above error conditions.

UNDERRUN and OVERRUN occur when DMA S/G byte count differs from what the
device accepts or delivers as checked when the device asserts INTRQ.
I can make them AC_ERR_HSM instead. (HOST_BUS or SYSTEM seem inappropriate.)

Overrun/underrun are typically programmer errors, something you should never see in the field is the driver is working properly. AC_ERR_HSM is probably the closest mapping to such a condition, though perhaps AC_ERR_DRIVER_BUG would be more clear :)

ATA_HBA_ERR is any FIS transmission error on SATA interface. AC_ERR_ATA_BUS
seems appropriate for that one.

Yep.

ATA_DMA_CNT_ERR is when a DMA FIS data size differs from total DMA S/G size.
I think AC_ERR_ATA_BUS is the correct choice for this one too.

Where is this in the Promise docs, so that I can take a closer look?

This condition sounds like overrun/underrun, something that would not occur outside of a driver bug?

I will add more explanatory text to the error bit definitions, and
perhaps also a table-driven error logger (a bit like sata_sil24).

SiI 3124 makes it a bit easier, by actually returning error codes (rather than bits scattered about, like all other hardware). But yes, that's a reasonable approach if it makes the code more clean.

	Jeff

-