Re: SATA Problem: port is slow to respond

Hello,

Sigmund Scheinbar wrote:
> The following messages appear while booting/in dmesg [1]:
>
> [...]
> ata2: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
> ata2: port failed to respond (30 secs, Status 0x80)
> ata2: softreset failed (device not ready)
> ata2: softreset failed, retrying in 5 secs
> ata2: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
> ata2: port failed to respond (30 secs, Status 0x80)
> ata2: COMRESET failed (device not ready)
> ata2: hardreset failed, retrying in 5 secs
> ata2: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
> ata2: port failed to respond (30 secs, Status 0x80)
> ata2: COMRESET failed (device not ready)
> ata2: reset failed, giving up

It seems whatever device connected to that ata2 went out for lunch and
never returned.

> A further issue which -  imho is coupled w/ this one - is that my
> cd/dvd+rw (also sata) combo drive does not work:
> firstly there is no indication in dmesg that it was found and
> secondly it behaves like dead: it does not open if i press the
> button and it does not blink; it can be opened until
> these message appear on the screen. I need to unplug and the replug
> it after shutting down/reboot so that on the next bootup the bios
> is able to find it (else it would still behave like dead)!
> The drive itself is ok i guess (a least it works fine on a differen OS).

Is it happen to be a samsung one?

> [8.5.] PCI information ('lspci -vvv' as root)
>
> http://wieland.homelinux.org/hp_dc5750/lspci-vvv.txt

Your webserver is timing out.

> Also it seems that the System is not capeable of recongnizing
> the HDD:
> hdparm -i /dev/sda
> HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

This will work from 2.6.21; however, "hdparm -I" works now and is the
preferred way to get ID data.

> I tried several kernel version in the meantime, starting w/
> the standard debian testing i386 kernel, then tried different
> vanilla versions 2.6.18.6, 2.6.19, 2.6.19.3 which are all
> affected in the same way. However 2.6.20 behaves
> differtly: there is another error message which scrolls over
> the screen so fast that i'm not able to read it, the only
> thing i was able to catch that it also concerns (s)ata, looking like
> 'ata2.0: [...] failed [...]'

Any chance you can post dmesg from 2.6.20?  Does it fail to detect the
device your root partition resides?

--
tejun
-