ATAPI DVD not detected

Hello,

A friend of mine has bought a laptop that has a DVD RAM (Matshita UJ-850S)
that is not detected by libata (ata_piix) unless it has booted on a cdrom
inserted in that drive.

A strange thing is that the drive is listed in the BIOS as being slave on
channel 1, with no master. Whereas the HD is master on channel 0 with no
slave connected.

He had no problem installing ubuntu with a cdrom, but after install, when
booting from the HD, the BIOS is probably not initializing the controller
(ICH7) the same way and the DVDRAM is not detected by libata. I tried with
different kernels, 2.6.17-11 (ubuntu current) 2.6.20 (built manually) or even
the 2.6.15-23 that was the one used for installation. Nothing in dmesg, Just
the standard line for the PATA channel.

Should I log a bug on http://bugzilla.kernel.org to track that issue or
nothing can be done with such broken HW setups / BIOSes ?

I'll get bootlogs and .configs available if needed.

--
Vincent Legoll
-