green light for kernel 2.6.20-rc7-git1

Hi everybody,

I can confirm that nerolinux is running excellent again with 2.6.20-rc7-git1.
I want to thank everyone mentioned in the address header, especially Linus himself and Mike Christie who did an excellent job. Fantastic!

My proposition to avoid terrible bugs like that one in the future is:
Every material, every change, even produced by Linus himself, should pass the mm-tree before being pushed into vanilla mainline.
I believe in quality, and quality needs manpower and testing. Manpower and testing need time. I´ve spent waiting 7 weeks to get this bug fixed.
In other words: If you keep on pushing out kernel release candidates with rat race speed nobody takes advantage of. So I´d appreciate you to reflect this criticism for a moment. My apologies for reacting that late. I should have reacted immediately after publishing of 2.6.20-rc1 instead of after 2.6.20-rc2.

Linus Torvalds wrote on Sunday, January 28th, 23:04:49 -0800
“I've never used it before, but it triggers: ...........
However, it appears to be rather hard to debug, with nerolinux being some
closed black box. Does anybody who knows nero know if there is some way to
get debug information out of it to see what it tried to do?
Can somebody try to bisect this?“

I feel sorry about the restrictive policy of some software companies avoiding to publish the sourcecode of their products. They publish Debian (my preferred distro) and Redhat packages and that´s it! It must be horrible to debug this.
My deep respect for everybody who managed to fix this in spite of that hindrance policy! And the case of nerolinux is not the first one I stumble over:

A very good application called mainactor (published by main concept corporation) does not run on AMD CPUs with VIA onboard chipset. You are forced to use Intel ICH hardware, or, if you don´t, you cannot cut DVB movie material to prepare DVD videos!
Can anybody reading this tell me whether there is an open source alternative that can compete with mainactor being able to cut mpeg2 movie streams? I would be very thankful for a hint!

Has anybody reading this ever tried to produce a multisession DVD or CD with two different systems (f. ex. Windoze and Linux) and two different applications (f. ex. k3b on Linux and Nero on Windoze), using rewritable raw material?
That´s a disease, as you are running into the following trouble: Different sessions cannot be recognized by the specific “other” system.
But if I use nero on both different platforms my practical experiences have ever been fine ones.

Question: What does “bisecting” mean please? Is it just a synonym for debugging or does it describe another technique to fix bugs? In case of the latter: What is the technique behind that expression?

Best regards and a thousands of thanks

Uwe

-