Re: sata_inic162x driver for 2.6.19 timeouts etc

--- Tejun Heo <htejun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [this thread is regarding sata_inic162x, misplaced reply]
>
> Bob Stewart wrote:
> > There is still something else bad going on in your driver.  I've tried
> > everything I can think of (timing changes, flushes, and whatnot)
> > but I still get random timeouts and random results from md5sum
> > on large files.  Even in the case where I don't get a timeout on a large
> > iso file, the md5sum is still random.  Strangely enough, though,
> > the files may be good on-disk, since totem seems to play the DVD.iso
> > that I'm testing with without a problem.  I'm using debian with a 2.6.19.2
> > kernel.
>
> Yeap, I'm aware of the problem.  That's why the driver is marked HIGHLY
> EXPERIMENTAL.  Maybe I should change it to broken.  :-(  Anyways, one of
> the known problems is mishandling of LBA48 commands which is cause of
> timeouts and wrong md5sums on large disks.  I just couldn't find any
> time to work on it in recent weeks.  Please be patient a bit.  I'll get
> back to sata_ini162x in a few days.
>
> --
> tejun

Thanks Tejun,

I'm trying to use this as a learning tool, so I'm not putting pressure on you
to fix it.  Well, at least I've learned a bit about libata etc while digging
through
this, even if I wasn't able to figure out what the problem was.  :)  By the
way,
the drive I'm using to play with this now is only an 80GB drive.

Bob
-