Re: [2.6.18,19] SATA boot problems (ICH6/ICH6W)

Alan wrote:
>> Some SATA controllers use 0xff to indicate empty port.  This seldomly
>> matters as we have the almighty SStatus register to check device
>> presence (there is a bug regarding this, patch pending).
>>
>> This GoVault drive fails because ata_piix doesn't have SCR while using
>> 0xff to indicate port not ready (dunno exact which state causes 0xff
>> status tho) while the GoVault drive fails to clear that state in 150ms
>> (not 30s).  The libata sees 0xff after SRST if GoVault drive is attached
>
> So we can also cut this down by only doing the extra polling on a device
> which is SATA and lacks SCR ?

That's true but the offending one is ata_piix, so the cutting down is
not as effective.  If we can live with the extra two secs per empty port
for some of ata_piix for the time being (maybe two or three releases),
the delay can be added now.  One more thing to consider is GoVault is
the only known device to show this behavior till now.

Hmm... What do you (Alan and Jeff) think?

--
tejun
-