Re: [2.6.18,19] SATA boot problems (ICH6/ICH6W)

Hello, Gary.

Gary Hade wrote:
>>> If they verify your fix (ie,
>>> GoVault sometimes take more than 150ms to transmit the first D2H Reg FIs
>>> after SRST), I'll push similar patch upstream.
>> Thanks.  If you think that changes to increase the delays are
>> the way to go (at least until we can find a better solution)
>> I can provide patches.
>
> Tejun,
> I haven't heard anything from you on this so I'm including a delay
> increase patch against 2.6.20-rc6 for the 'ata-piix' case below.
> I hope that you, Jeff, and others find this acceptable.

Sorry about being unresponsive.  The thing is that the change adds
unnecessary 2 secs of delay to a lot of other normal device-not-present
cases, so I was hesitant to ack the patch.  I'll give it more thoughts
(and respond timely this time :-)

> With respect to the 'ahci' case w/2.6.20-rc6 the GoVault device is
> useable following boot although the below messages are being logged
> during initialization.  Please let me know if you have any thoughts
> on this.
>   scsi1 : ahci
>   ata2: softreset failed (port busy but CLO unavailable)
>   ata2: softreset failed, retrying in 5 secs
>   ata2: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
>   ata2: port failed to respond (30 secs, Status 0x80)
>   ata2: COMRESET failed (device not ready)
>   ata2: hardreset failed, retrying in 5 secs
>   ata2: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
>   ata2.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/66
>   ata2.00: configured for UDMA/66

The above should have been fixed in 2.6.20-rc6.  Please test it.  It was
caused by the ahci driver incorrectly clearing ahci CAP register and
fixed recently.

Thanks.

--
tejun