Re: Possible performance issue with sata_sil og Gigabyte i-Ram

Oddbjørn Kvalsund wrote:
Hi,

I recently purchased a Gigabyte i-Ram GC Ramdisk after reading some
quite impressive reviews online. Getting the card up and running
connected to a ST Lab A-223 Serial ATA PCI Card (sil3114 using sata_sil)
with kernel 2.6.19.1 was quite easy, thanks guys!

Access times on this thing are great, but I seem to be hitting some
strange performance-issues when doing large reads/writes. "hdparm -t
/dev/sda" gives me 80-82 MB/s on average and bonnie++ (see link to
complete output below) confirms these results.  My simple stdio
C-program gives write-speeds of around 70 MB/s.
Other people using this device report of read/write speeds constantly
maxing out their SATA150 or PCI-bus. Is this my sil3114 being the
bottleneck? Other devices on the PCI-bus? My general system (see link to
the complete output of lspci and /proc/cpuinfo below)? Or is this some
glitch in the iRam + sil3114 combination?

FWIW, I have nothing but trouble with the gigabyte i-RAM. I thought it was the coolest device in the world, and bought one as soon as I found one.

However, I am unable to keep it from corrupting data. I primarily use it on sil3114, just like your hardware, but I have the same problems with other controllers.

My gut feeling is that the i-RAM has very strict RAM model requirements, and needs the latest firmware, but I have not yet tested these hypotheses.

I would love to get it working too...

	Jeff

-