Re: Scary Intel SATA problem: "frozen"

Jonas Lundgren wrote:
Also, does 'mount -o remount,barrier=0 /' change anything?

I will post this info as soon as I can "reproduce" the error.

If it doesn't occur as soon as you boot, it's probably irrelevant.

Atm I run the ICH8 SATA ports in AHCI mode with "IDE bus master"(To be
honest I don't really know what this option does, no info about it in
the BIOS nor the mobo manual) turned off in BIOS. The drives are
connected to port 1, 3, 6 and 8 (raptor+raptor on 1+3, and WD 250G + WD
250G (also a raid0) on ports 6+8)

I guess that's just your mobo's way of telling that ahci mode is active.

[--snip--]
Please full dmesg after your computer got really slow.  I suspect libata
decided to switch to PIO mode.

If that's so, how come I still get good read speeds? o.O

Yeah, if you're still getting good read speed, PIO mode hasn't kicked in.

I don't know what causes it, but most of the times when I've gotten it
my system has been under heavy load (compiling, downloading torrents in
11mb/sec etc). Please let me know if you want any additional info, want
me to try something out, or whatever. My recent hardware upgrade for
around $1200 (to a core2duo system, i965 mobo) is just going to waste
because of this problem. :/
Heh, nice machine you got there.  When you look at the dmesg, do the
error messages occur only on one of the two drives?  Or are both
affected?  If only one is affected,

IIRC only sda is affected, and later today I'm gonna switch back to
non-AHCI mode and try to reproduce this error (This might be my
imagination, but it feels like I get the error more frequently if I
don't run the ports in AHCI mode..) so I can try out the things you've
listed here.. Would suck if there's a hardware problem with one of my
disks, but I guess it's possible.

Cabling/power issue is more likely than faulty hard drive, I think. Interestingly, you're more likely to encounter insufficient power problem if you have multi-lane power supply (most high-powered ones are multi-lane these days) because they have less power per lane.

e.g. Single-lane 350w power supply won't have problem powering 5 drives no matter how you connect them but if you somehow hook up five drives to a single lane in 450w multi-lane power, you're screwed. Furthermore, it's not always clear which cable belongs to which power lane.

1. swap the two.  you'll probably have to dance a little bit with boot
loader but md should handle that fine once the kernel is loaded.  does
the errors persist?  on which device do they occur?  do they follow the
drive or stay on the mobo port?

(I'm running my /boot on a raid1, so switching drives should require no
reconfiguration at all :)

2. try different cable / port.  if you change port, again, you need to
dance w/ boot loader.  who's carrying the error messages with it?

3. try different power plug from different power lane.

I just got so glad when I saw the post of this on linux-ide, I've been
searching like crazy to find another person having the same problem (and
possibly a solution) for the past 2-3 weeks or so.
My first guess is frequent transmission errors.  Please report the test
results.  Thanks.

I've pushing my system really hard for half an hour or so to reproduce
this problem, and I got something else (no write speed slowdown, but
some page allocation errors, no idea if this has something to do with
anything, but I'll post it anyways)

You pushed your box really hard and the kernel can't get the memory it wants. Not really relevant to SATA problem.

--
tejun
-