Kernel config question on Hitachi HTS541080G9SA00, Intel 945pm Express, SATA drive on Dell e1505 Inspiron

Hi,

Is  it currently  possible  to configure  a linux  kernel to  directly
(without an  initrd image) boot  from a Hitachi  HTS541080G9SA00 drive
which I believe is a SATA-I serial ATA drive.  I believe my machine is
using an Intel 945pm chipset to drive the hard drive.

I think  the setup should  use the AHCI  driver in libata, but  I have
tried  a  variety  of  permutations  with no  success  so  far.  (like
2.6.19-rcx)

The  box currently boots  a Debian  Sarge distribution  (kernel 2.6.8)
using an hda ide disk configuration (as opposed to an sda), but I need
a more recent kernel version to get drivers for other devices working.

Thanks for any help and suggestions,

Marc

--

-