Re: sata_mv problems on Marvell MV88SX5081

Jiri Kosina wrote:
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Mark Lord wrote:

Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 122126336
Scroll WAY BACK in the log, and find the error messages which preceeded
the first occurance of that one.  (with a bad sector, it is very likely
you will see a zillion "Buffer I/O errors", as the SCSI mid-layer is not
at all nice about how it handles them).

Actually the "Buffer I/O error" is the very first error message I am receiving, a few minutes after the driver is initialized and there is some disk activity happening.

Thanks,

Jiri,

Make sure that you delete the arrays in the highpoint bios before
trying to use the open source driver.

I have seen alot of really funny things on several of the different
hw/sw raid controllers (not just highpoint's) if you attempt to use
a disk that someone has already tagged as raid disks, even on the
same controller it gets interesting if you attempt to use them
non-raid.

I would be interested in knowing if the open source driver can successfully
driver those boards.

                          Roger

-