Re: multiple irqs per card on the sata_sil24

Trent George wrote:
While reading the specs, I noticed that the pci-x cards support splitting each port to a unique irq pin.

3124 doesn't seem to support multiple MSI interrupts either. Multiple Message Capable field is 000b. Where does the spec say that it can split each port to a unique irq pin?

If you have 6 cards with 4 ports, can you spread the load over 24 irqs ?
I dont know if the motherboard can support this, or the driver could be modified to do this.
It would be nice when there is a lot of of disk traffic on lots of drives.... adding port multiplier drives to each channel.
I am trying to build a VERY large duplication system using LOTS of bandwidth. the irq can really put stress on the system.

Theoretically, yes, but linux currently cannot do multiple MSI interrupts and I don't think it's gonna be supported anytime soon. pci-e + multiple MSIX interrupts are supported but AFAIK 3132 supports that.

sil24 is pretty efficient and it only takes one more register access to determine which port has raised interrupt. Also, if you have multiple busy ports w/ PMP attached, single interrupt is likely to serve multiple ports, so I don't think it's gonna matter performance-wise.

the final system would be 100+ drives all going over 22mb/s.
It should give a nice supermicro board with 3 buses a real workout.

Impressive.  Good luck and please keep us posted.

--
tejun
-