Re: error handling - DMA to PIO step down sequence

Ric Wheeler wrote:
[--snipp--]
Derating should probably never happen on normal drive errors - even those that might take 10's of seconds. Often, drives will try really, really hard to recover and might eventually respond after internally giving up after up to 30 seconds.

We definitely need to improve that part of EH. It's more of a proof-of-concept code to show that EH can do derating and all the fancy stuff at the moment.

However, I'm not so sure about being 'too' aggressive. As long as the error condition from the device indicates proper error condition which is not transmission error, EH doesn't derate the device. In your test case, libata couldn't determine anything about the error condition other than it has occurred for a known supported IO command, so after enough retries, it starts to lower transmission speed. I want to note two things here.

1. The reason why EH took so long is not because of derating but _probably_ because libata didn't know and couldn't tell upper layer much about the error condition. We definitely need to improve this part. I believe some problems are in libata and some in SCSI midlayer.

2. The derating sequence should be refined.  For example,
    * if sata
	* excessive aborts and NCQ on
		-> turn off NCQ
	* frequent tx or tons of unknown errs on known supported cmds
	  and 3gbps
		-> use 1.5gbps
    * if pata
	* frequent tx or tons of unknown errs on known supported cmds
	  and udma mode
		-> step down once or twice (the first step is the next
		   lower level, the next UDMA2 if PATA for 40c-cbl case)

    * commands are failing too often that no meaningful work is done
      or many DMA errors are reported (note that this often results in
      timeout)
	-> fall back to PIO, if still unusable fallback to PIO0, nothing
	   much to lose anyway.

Above usually results in four maximum derating steps. Hmmm.. some SATA devices may find one or two UDMA slow down steps useful if they're bridged. Anyways, the baseline is that the current steps are unnecessarily too many.

Please note that derating steps isn't the biggest problem. It just looks prominent because of the first problem.

Also, NACK's from unsupported commands or any type of media errors should not kick off this sequence.

No, it doesn't. Only abort or unknown failures on known supported commands (READ/WRITE) or transmission errors cause the sequence. Again, it's the NQ bit that's offending here.

Would this be a reasonable thing for a config option? Better to add yet another blacklist for devices that might have a justified need for this derating?

No, I don't think this justifies a config option or a blacklist. We just need to improve the default behavior good enough. For your case, with the sequence outlined above, libata will turn off NCQ after several such errors and then will get media error reported correct. It will result in some performance loss but if you have a drive with faulty firmware + media error on that device, that's fair price to pay, isn't it?

Thanks.

--
tejun
-