Re: Kernel fix for ICH7M controller

Tejun Heo wrote:
Jonathan Dieter wrote:
The ata_piix module doesn't detect that my laptop's disk controller (Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM - ICH7 Family) is configured to have PATA drives in the first two channels. I looked at Intel's documentation and they say that my controller isn't supposed to support this configuration, but it's the default setup on this laptop, there's no way to change it in the BIOS, and it works in Windows, so I'm assuming this is a documentation error.

This patch changes one line in ata_piix.c so that it sees this configuration as valid (and therefore recognizes my drives). I've tested it on my laptop and the module is now working perfectly (whereas the kernel was using the old IDE driver previously with no DMA enabled).

Hello,

Interesting. Can you post the result of 'lspci -n -vvv -xxx'? I don't see why this support shouldn't go into mainline but wanna see if narrowing down the effect a bit (if PCI ID allows us to) would be a good idea.

FWIW several PCI devices use the ich6m info entry. We may want to split out ICH7M rather than assume other chips behave similarly.

	Jeff

--
VGER BF report: H 0
-