Re: Port multiplier

Hello,

Richard Scobie wrote:
I have ordered an ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe which in addition to the NVIDIA
SATA controller, has a JMicron 363 SATA controller which handles one
internal SATA connector and an external eSATA connector.

My understanding is that the JMicron will work using kernel AHCI support
and the board BIOS has an AHCI setting.

My hope is to be able to connect an Addonics AD5APM-E 5 disk port
multiplier module to this. From the photo and some other information at
their website, this appears to use either a Silicon Image 3124 or 3132 chip.

Do you think this will work, if I use the current patch 20060710 on your
Wiki?

PMP support for AHCI isn't yet included in PMP patches, so, no, it won't.

If so, and it supports hotplugging, which I believe it may do, what
exactly does this mean?

Can I power up an external enclosure containing the Addonics and 3
drives, configured as a RAID 5 and plug it straight into the running system?

Yeap.  libata should detect the new drives and attach them.

If so, can this be set up to mount automatically?

Well, the kernel detects the device and notifies hotplug. The rest is upto how hotplug is configured.

Can I unmount the connected and mounted array and just unplug the array
with no further concern?

The machine will survive and detach the device correctly but yet-unwritten data will be lost.

--
tejun
-