Re: libata-dev#upstream pdc_adma fails IDENTIFY w/ AC_ERR_HSM

Mark Lord wrote:
I've tested both cards and cables Mark sent me (thanks!), and both show the same symptom for ATA harddisk and ATAPI cdrom, so this seems to be a driver issue. Any ideas?

Well, ATAPI not working is no suprise -- officially that chipset doesn't
support ATAPI (on MS Win), but it ought to be workable in PIO mode for us.

IDENTIFY_PACKET_DEVICE fails the same way as IDENTIFY_DEVICE does, so...

But not finding the HD is more of an issue.  I wonder what motherboard/CPU
you are trying this on, and has it *ever* worked for you Tejun?

This is P5LD2 (ICH7R) w/ P4 celeron. The kernel was built for i386. This is my first time to actually try these cards. I'm updating initialization, so I'm doing sweep-test on all the cards I have. I'll put it into via-c3 and see what happens. I'll also try older kernel before big libata EH updates.

My newish old AMD64 box here seems to have problems with a number
of boards, including the pdc_adma ones.  Not sure why, as the exact same
kernels work fine with the exact same board/drives in my Intel P4 box.

I have two sil3112s whose BIOSen hang during boot if certain port (not sure which one) is occupied on boot. It worked fine before on the same machine (again, P5LD2) but it got broken after some point. As both cards show the same symptom, I'm suspecting system BIOS update is the trigger. Both cards work fine if booted with no device attached and hotplugged later.

Something to add to the list of things to look at, I suppose.

As we're talking about pdc_adma, when are you gonna convert it to the new EH? :-)

--
tejun
-