Alan's PATA stuff and libata warmplug

G'day all,

Just wondering at the long term feasibility of adding warmplug to the PATA portions of libata that are currently sitting in -mm.

My vaio here has the ability to power down the optical drive. The hard disk and optical drive are on the same ATA bus, master/slave. When the optical drive goes into error recovery mode, like if it has a scratch on the CD, or I power the drive down, any access to the hard disk locks up until either the error is timed out or the state recovers. So when I power down my optical disk the machine dies as it seems to lock access to the hard disk also.

I was wondering if the ability to effectively bring down that particular aspect of the interface might prevent this from occurring so I can use the machine with the optical drive powered off and then bring the interface back up if I re-apply power to the drive.

I've been trying to recover some badly scratched audio cd's lately, and of course that makes the machine unusable as the hard disk just becomes inaccessible while the kernel times out the access to the CD drive. I don't recall this happening with the original ide drivers.

Brad
-