Re: Hotplug drives on vt8251 with ahci module

Tejun Heo wrote:

About the disabling on hardreset failure... Maybe there is some room for improvement - e.g. leave PHY status interrupts alive if it's not causing interrupt storm, but I'm not sure whether the benefits would outweigh the cost.

Leaving the port frozen (disabled & interrupts plugged) is a safety measure libata implements. The driver isn't sure in what state the controller and the attached device are in as they are not responding even to the 'hard' reset, so it assumes the worst and shuns the port.

As I wrote above, you can ask libata to retry by explicitly telling libata to rescan the bus. I thought that should be enough when I was

MMm.. sounds like libata should do that periodic polling,
rather than relying on the end-user to do it.  Right?  :)

So the best of both approaches from above:  mask the interrupts
and leave them off, but periodically poll for phy status changes.

??
-
: send the line "unsubscribe linux-ide" in