Re: Infinite loop on MODE-SENSE with a removable ATAPI sata device on VIA chipset

Dario Oliva wrote:
Tejun Heo wrote:

None attached. :)

Oops.
I asked the model because plexstor list some of their drives as PIO
only with VIA controllers.  I don't know why.  But
VIA + plextor combination seems to have some problems and your problem
might be a similar one.
Have you tried the drive with other controllers?

Yes, we have tried other controllers, mainly Intel and nvidia. No
problems with either one. Only the motherboard with the VIA controller
gives the problem.

Seems to be the same problem. You can force PIO mode by adding your device's ID to ata_dma_list[] in libata-core.c. It will force PIO mode on all controllers, though. Proper way would be to implement ops->filter_mode() in sata_via.c and force PIO for ATAPI devices, but I'm not sure whether the 'force PIO' approach is the correct one.

--
tejun
-