Re: Problem with disk

Mark Hahn wrote:

I would suggest that you should run with the write cache disabled unless you can verify working barrier support.

this is true, but extremely conservative/paranoid. it makes a lot of sense if you're handling banking transactions or if you really
see a lot of abrupt power-offs (yank the battery).  what are the chances
of a drive failing to write dirty blocks when idle, halting?
The write cache in modern drives is multiple megabytes - 8 or 16MB is not uncommon. The chances that you have data that is lost on a power failure in the write cache is actually quite high...

I agree that most people should not lose too much sleep over this.

don't get me wrong: write barriers are A Good Thing. just that Linux survived very nicely for many years before such things were bothered with.

The fact that your drive reports IO errors is also worrying - you might just have a bad drive... You can look at drive help with tools like smartctl.

IO errors trump any concerns for write barriers - there's no need to even think about barriers or cache settings if the disk is, for instance,
reporting media errors...

Agreed again ;-)

ric

-
: send the line "unsubscribe linux-ide" in