Re: Problem with disk

David Ronis wrote:

I notice from hdparm that disk write caching is turned on.  Any chance
that there is a problem with the cache not being flushed before powering
down?

I'm running Linux-2.6.15.5 on what is otherwise a slackware-10.2
install.

David

While linux has support for write barriers (that allow you to run safely with the write cache enabled), it needs support from the drive. I would suggest that you should run with the write cache disabled unless you can verify working barrier support.

The fact that your drive reports IO errors is also worrying - you might just have a bad drive... You can look at drive help with tools like smartctl.

Good luck,

ric

-
: send the line "unsubscribe linux-ide" in