libata1.patch

Jeff / et al,

My general email to the list still didn't get a response, I figured I'd
try a different subject line and CC'ing Jeff directly.

I tried 2.6.15.6-libata1.patch and was able to succesfully use a PATA
drive from my Promise 20378 card! Thanks for the hard work. It works
great for the most part.

One big question/problem I had:

  The kernel raid autodetection doesn't work here. Though I'm not clear
  if it supports going across controllers. I set up a raid-1 array wtih
  a drive on my other controller, set the partition type to autodetect,
  but a reboot left my array with just the drive not on the promise
  card. Should this work? Am I missing something?

Also - is there an effort to get this merged into mainline?

Note that my box has a 82801EB/ER controller which is currently my
primarycontoller as well as the Promise PDC20378 which is what I'm using
this patch for.

As a side note: Currently my BIOS's ATA settings are "SATA mode" - I
also have "PATA mode" "SATA+PATA mode". I tried SATA+PATA and I get a
bunch of IRQ16 ignored messages, a few tracebacks, and a LOT of
slowness. I also get 3 scsi controller devices. I haven't tried the PATA
mode.

Thanks.
--
Phil Dibowitz                             phil@xxxxxxxx
Freeware and Technical Pages              Insanity Palace of Metallica

matter and those who matter don't mind."
 - Dr. Suess