Re: Promise 20378

mreuther@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Phil, there is a patch in Jeff Garzik's libata-dev patch queue to support PATA
> on Promise SATA hosts. I haven't tried it out myself, but it may cover your
> case.
>
> Go to http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/libata/ and grab the
> latest patch for 2.4 or 2.6. If you grab 2.6.13-rc7-libata1.patch.bz2, it
> applies cleanly to 2.6.13.
>
> Please report back the results!

Finally got around to trying this. It works great! I patched 2.6.15.6
with this patch, and everything seems to be fully functional as far as
the PATA drive on that controller is concerned.

However, a few concerns:

1. The kernel raid autodetection doesn't work here. Though I'm not clear
if it supports going across controllers. I set up a raid-1 array wtih a
drive on my other controller, set the partition type to autodetect, but
a reboot left my array with just the drive not on the promise card.

2. Currently my BIOS's ATA settings are "SATA mode" - I also have "PATA
mode" "SATA+PATA mode". I tried SATA+PATA and I get a bunch of IRQ16
ignored messages, a few tracebacks, and a LOT of slowness. I also get 3
scsiI haven't tried the PATA mode.

Note that my box has 82801EB/ER controller which is currently my primary
contoller as well as the Promise PDC20378 which is what I'm using this
patch for.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Phil Dibowitz                             phil@xxxxxxxx
Freeware and Technical Pages              Insanity Palace of Metallica

matter and those who matter don't mind."
 - Dr. Suess