Re: libata machine check on Alpha

Carlos Pardo wrote:
> The 3611 bridge does not support the ATAPI DMA direction bit in hardware.(software support only)
>
> The 3811 bridge supports ATAPI DMA direction bit in both software and hardware.
>
> The 646 chip is ancient and he should upgrade.  The behavior of this device is unknown since this part was EOL'd years ago.

Hi Carlos,

Does this mean that only the 3611 bridge needs the DMA_DIR bit set by host software, while 3811
can detect the ATAPI DMA direction by hardware and doesn't need the DMA_DIR bit?
(I guess that 3811 detects the direction by looking into the SCSI CDB. If the SCSI command is
unknown to it, 3811 still needs the DMA_DIR bit set by software.)
Is there anyway that we could detect whether the DMA_DIR needs to be set by host software?
Is there anyway that we could detect whether the bridge is a 3611 or a 3811 chip automatically?

Per Jeff's comment, there is a document on t13 (http://www.t13.org/docs2003/e03131r0.pdf).
The documents reads:
"Eg. – Word 50, bit 13: Set to 1 for devices that support DMAIN bit in Features Register for Packet Command".
However, this looks more for the ATAPI device than for the bridge?
Also it looks not a t13 standard yet?
Can we use this word 50 to identify 3611/3811?

Thanks,

Albert

-
: send the line "unsubscribe linux-ide" in