Re: register/unregister SATA drive

Hey Dieter,

On 4/5/06, Dieter Stüken <stueken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> is it possible to unregister a single SATA port and to detach the disk?
> how do I inform the kernel to rescan for a newly attached drive on that
> port?

To actually do this, I direct you to
http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/12/29/216
http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/12/29/215

This is the last submitted version of my hotswap patches for libata,
which, assuming that you have a Promise controller, will go and
register unplugged and plugged devices for you.

Now of course, caveats:  those patches aren't updated for 2.6.16
because I haven't had time to do so and test them.  And, of course,
they work with some Promise controllers only.

Until they're a) revised to work with new libata EH, b) accepted and
c) more hardware support is layered on them, they might not help you
much.

You can use the patches to figure out how to write a system which does
what you want though, provided you add a way to hook the sata_hot_plug
and sata_hot_unplug methods from the command line, for instance.

Hope this alleviates the problem a bit,

Luke Kosewski
-
: send the line "unsubscribe linux-ide" in