Re: NCQ general question

Gentoopower wrote:
Jens Axboe wrote:
On Wed, Mar 01 2006, Gentoopower wrote:
..
I can defintely feel the speed difference between the two drives.
Well that can't be because of NCQ, since it isn't active :-)

Got ya:-)

Who said this box is running only linux?

You did, by posting to the *Linux-IDE* kernel mailing list.

All bets are off for other OSs, especially those that really
*need* NCQ for half-decent performance.

Linux doesn't, but it's definitely nice to wish for.

I've implemented host-queuing support for NCQ and TCQ on
several controllers (for Linux), and it almost always produces
only a tiny *measureable* effect on desktop systems.

Busy servers, with lots of teensy random read requests,
benefit most from it, as do benchmark programs that do a lot of seeking.

But normal system use -- running OO.org, rebuilding kernels,
etc.. no significant measurable difference.  Maybe by fiddling
with the IO scheduler code (which defeats NCQ/TCQ to a degree)..

But I'd happily enable it on my own systems anyway!

Cheers
-
: send the line "unsubscribe linux-ide" in