Re: sata_sil.c, 3512 and SIL_QUIRK_MOD15WRITE

Jon K Hellan wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 16:19 +0900, Tejun Heo wrote:
>

>>Can you try the following patch?  It's a kind of long shot.
>

> Long shot? Seems to work. I didn't see any lockups during the 12 hours I
> tested. The bug normally shows up in less than 1 hour. Out of curiosity,
> what does the patch do?

Hello, Jon.

Hmmm... it's a pending workaround for 3114's R_ERR on DMA activate FIS
errata, which goes like...

 *  3. SiI 3114 R_ERR on DMA activate FIS errta workaround
 *
 *  Errata:
 *    During DMA write operations with a data length greater than 8
 *    Kbytes, a PRD entry fetch that occurs at the same time that a
 *    DMA Activate FIS is received may cause the SiI3114 to falsely
 *    indicate that the DMA Activate FIS has an illegal FIS Type.
 *    This may cause the Sil3114 to send an R_EER in response to the
 *    DMA Active FIS.
 *
 *  Workaround:
 *    By configuring bit[1:0] of the SFISCfg register to accept FIS
 *    types other than the standard SATA defined FIS types, the
 *    SiI3114 is prevented from falsely setting the illegal FIS Type
 *    indicator, thus preventing the improper RERR response.  The
 *    default value of the SFISCfg register is 0x1040_1555.  To
 *    implement this workaround, the SFISCfg register should be set to
 *    a value of 0x1040_1554.
 *
 *    This workaround is applied during controller initialization in
 *    sil_init_one().
 *

So, you're confirming that this workaround fixes your lockup on 3152 for
both ST3200822AS and SP2504C, right?

Carlos, can you confirm this? It seems like 3512 shares this errata with
3114.

Thanks.

--
tejun