Re: regarding ata_piix initialization trouble

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Tejun wrote:

Hello, Jean & 0602.

I was digging ICH docs to reimplement ata_piix initialization and found out that 6300ESB lists high bits (the present bits) of PCS register as reserved. But they indiciate that the bits might change anytime just as in other docs. I think something went wrong with those bits in that particular chipset and Intel decided to ignore the bits.

I'm wondering whether your problems are related to this. Can you guys please run 'lspci -n' on your machines which had the piix initialization trouble and report the result here?

Note that we still get the PCS bits wrong because, e.g. they only apply to ports 0 and 2 on some chipsets, not ports 0 and 1 like you would expect.

Jeff, can you please elaborate? I'm currently looking at datasheets for ICH5, 6, 7 and 6300ESB but can't really understand what you're saying. Doesn't PCS + MAP give the whole picture?

--
tejun
-