RE: Inquiry about brl statement

David:

If brl had existed from the beginning, then its stop-bit requirements would
have matched those of regular branches.  However, it was added after Merced
could no longer be changed, and because of where it is encoded, and the
desire to enable an OS to emulate it on Merced, it had to have the
must-always-be-followed-by-a-stop-bit rule.

 -- Jim