Re: [RFC Patch 0/2] I2C statistics as sysfs attributes

Hi Sui Chen,

> It appears bus errors and NACK counts are frequently found in many
> I2C controllers; a few I2C bus drivers now export those counters to
> debugfs. There is some effort in attempting to monitor a large
> number of BMCs (board management controllers) and we are wondering if
> it is possible to have a more stable and unified interface for those
> counters to be exported to compared to the debugfs, so that a single
> command can be used to obtain the counters from different types of I2C
> controllers.

There are at least two things to consider here:

1) Why do you need this information? I don't think values like NACK
count describe the health of a system. NACKs are perfectly OK in regular
I2C communication. So, for now, I think debugfs is the better place.
An exception might be the bus speed. Some people already had an interest
in this.

2) Even when this information is kept in debugfs, we can still add some
core helper to have a standardized structure for the created files. This
is independent from sysfs. I don't think I want this a standardized ABI,
currently. Unless you explain good reasons to me :)

Thanks and happy hacking,

   Wolfram