Re: i2c-tools: Discussion points about future library

On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 04:01:13PM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:

> First point is the name of the library. My original intent was to name
> it libi2c-dev, because the library is essentially a front-end to the
> i2c-dev kernel driver, and also because this is what Debian named their
> package currently containing the (i2c-tools flavor of)
> <linux/i2c-dev.h>. However Aur??lien Jarno suggested that libi2c would
> be just as fine, and easier/shorter. I am mostly convinced by now. I am
> curious if anyone wants to express an opinion on the matter?

FWIW the Debian convention is that the source package of a library is
called libfoo building packages libfoo-dev with the headers and .so
symlink to link against (or .a for a static library) and libfooN with
the runtime in it (where N is the soname).