Re: [Patch] MPC Adapter: read class attribute from device tree

Wolfgang Grandegger said the following:
>> Many adapters do initialization of .class in adapter code. A few do not.
>> I haven't checked, but assume the PPC ones, as they have DTS. Thats Ok,
>> as long DTS is really used. In at least one other adapter it is: Exactly
>> Wolfgang Grandegger, who is responsible for removal of the original
>> default initialization, showed me, that it is done in i2c-cpm!
>
> This property in i2c-cpm existed before the conversion to new style I2C
> drivers. I actually proposed the following patch:
>
>  http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2008-July/060016.html
>
> But after some discussion we came to the conclusion, that legacy device
> probing should be avoided for FDT based systems.
What does this                  ^^^ mean?

I am really without emotion about how it is solved, but dynamic
instantiation should be possible in a clean way. Generating an entry for
every possible device is no clean way, IMHO.
BTW: I can't see what this has to do with legacy, I my case we talk
about new-style ones.

--
Michael