Re: [Patch] MPC Adapter: read class attribute from device tree

Michael Lawnick wrote:
> Wolfram Sang said the following:
>>> mailing list. Nevertheless loading modules at runtime is legal and
>>> generally supported by LINUX.
>> Ack. And it does so...
>>
>>> Defining all possible (I2C-)devices in DTS would give a mess. E.g. on
>>> one board there will be ~30 temperature sensors, on the other none.
>>> As every DTS entry will force a sysFs subdirectory there would be a
>>> bunch of functionless directories - rather ugly.
>> Well, you should have a DTS for every flavour; that is what DTS are
>> about. You do know that, do you?
>
> You like it more complicated? Ok, here it is:
> As Jean indicated in his reply, we will have to support hotplug. Most of
> the above sensors won't exist a life time on some systems, on others all
> could exist. I tried to keep out this issue to avoid a drift to the
> discussion that hotplug is not _yet_ supported. I will^Wmust support
> hotplug, either by using tree's code or by doing my own modifications.
>> Even if not, there would be a slighty messed directory on one specific
>> device with how many units? Let's take the latest example of extending
>> the DTS file with OS-specific information - this one is ugly, too, but
>> has impact _for everyone using dts_ files. Think about the number of
>> affected systems and you will hopefully understand why such patches are
>> handled with extreme caution.
>
> You talk about my reading of the class entry from DTS?
> No, I don't understand how other systems are affected by this.
> They don't read this entry of _my_ .dts file.
> Seems there is a general misunderstanding...
>>> Because of the situation above I try to keep the ability of dynamic
>>> instantiation. Jean hesitates, I feel because he sees I2C solely in
>>> static manner.
>> He is taking care for every I2C communication on every Linux machine out
>> there. He can't please everyone. On the other hand, you are free to
>> modify the kernel as you please. It doesn't really have to be in
>> mainline, does it?
> If this would be a private problem, yes.
> But I see this as a more general flaw:
> Many adapters do initialization of .class in adapter code. A few do not.
> I haven't checked, but assume the PPC ones, as they have DTS. Thats Ok,
> as long DTS is really used. In at least one other adapter it is: Exactly
> Wolfgang Grandegger, who is responsible for removal of the original
> default initialization, showed me, that it is done in i2c-cpm!

This property in i2c-cpm existed before the conversion to new style I2C
drivers. I actually proposed the following patch:

 http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2008-July/060016.html

But after some discussion we came to the conclusion, that legacy device
probing should be avoided for FDT based systems.

Wolfgang.