Re: sch5627 on Fujitsu Celsius W280

On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 07:48:50 -0700
Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On 10/24/23 07:04, Ian Nartowicz wrote:
>> I just upgraded a Celsius W280 to the 6.1 kernel and noticed that hardware
>> monitoring was gone.  Was working in 5.10.  When I added it to the
>> dmi_override_table, it started working again (with a slightly different
>> device name).  dmidecode shows it as an on board device, type other, status
>> disabled (just the watchdog?), and description "SMsC SuperI/O".
>>

>Weird, this is the second private e-mail I get in a single day.
>Is there some information out there suggesting that kernel maintainers
>should be contacted without copying the mailing list ? If so, tell them
>it is wrong. As warning to everyone, I won't reply any further
>to private e-mails like this.
>
>Looking at the code, try adding ignore_dmi=1 as module parameter when
>prevents the driver from loading if the parameter is not provided.
>Maybe the conditions in sch56xx_init() are wrong or too generic.
>Armin, any comments ? Do we need to revert your patch ?
>
>Guenter

Apologies for the spam.  I didn't know about the mailing list.  Hopefully this
will be more correct.

I tried the ignore_dmi option.  Used manually on sch56xx-common, I was then
able to modprobe sch5627 and it started working.  Slightly clumsy, loading
sch5627 first wouldn't work. It all worked more smoothly with the modules built
in to the kernel and the option on the command line.

I have no idea how many machines use this chip, but I can't imagine the current
list is comprehensive.  Quite old, though?  Let me know if you need more data
or testing on a relevant machine.

--ian