Re: sch5627 on Fujitsu Celsius W280

On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 07:42:11PM +0200, Armin Wolf wrote:
> Am 24.10.23 um 16:48 schrieb Guenter Roeck:
>
> > On 10/24/23 07:04, Ian Nartowicz wrote:
> > > I just upgraded a Celsius W280 to the 6.1 kernel and noticed that
> > > hardware
> > > monitoring was gone.  Was working in 5.10.  When I added it to the
> > > dmi_override_table, it started working again (with a slightly
> > > different device
> > > name).  dmidecode shows it as an on board device, type other, status
> > > disabled
> > > (just the watchdog?), and description "SMsC SuperI/O".
> > >

> > Weird, this is the second private e-mail I get in a single day.
> > Is there some information out there suggesting that kernel maintainers
> > should be contacted without copying the mailing list ? If so, tell them
> > it is wrong. As warning to everyone, I won't reply any further
> > to private e-mails like this.
> >
> > Looking at the code, try adding ignore_dmi=1 as module parameter when
> > prevents the driver from loading if the parameter is not provided.
> > Maybe the conditions in sch56xx_init() are wrong or too generic.
> > Armin, any comments ? Do we need to revert your patch ?
> >
> > Guenter
> >
> I think so, it seems that the DMI devices are not always present.
> We better revert the DMI autodetection patch to prevent anymore
> regressions like this.

Not sure what I'd need to revert. Would it be all of the following ?

fd2d53c367ae hwmon: (sch56xx-common) Add DMI override table
393935baa45e hwmon: (sch56xx-common) Add automatic module loading on supported devices
4db3c09228a0 hwmon: (sch56xx) Autoload modules on platform device creation

Alternatively, we could add Celsius W280 to the dmi override table.
After all, the code has been present since 6.1, and the functional
gain seems to be sufficient. Adding W280 with a Fixes: tag pointing
to fd2d53c367ae would make more sense to me than reverting the above
patches.

Guenter