Re: sch5627 on Fujitsu Celsius W280

Am 24.10.23 um 16:48 schrieb Guenter Roeck:

On 10/24/23 07:04, Ian Nartowicz wrote:
I just upgraded a Celsius W280 to the 6.1 kernel and noticed that
hardware
monitoring was gone.  Was working in 5.10.  When I added it to the
dmi_override_table, it started working again (with a slightly
different device
name).  dmidecode shows it as an on board device, type other, status
disabled
(just the watchdog?), and description "SMsC SuperI/O".

Weird, this is the second private e-mail I get in a single day.
Is there some information out there suggesting that kernel maintainers
should be contacted without copying the mailing list ? If so, tell them
it is wrong. As warning to everyone, I won't reply any further
to private e-mails like this.

Looking at the code, try adding ignore_dmi=1 as module parameter when
prevents the driver from loading if the parameter is not provided.
Maybe the conditions in sch56xx_init() are wrong or too generic.
Armin, any comments ? Do we need to revert your patch ?

Guenter

I think so, it seems that the DMI devices are not always present.
We better revert the DMI autodetection patch to prevent anymore
regressions like this.

Armin Wolf