Re: IIO Driver for TMP117 Temperature sensor

On 12/13/20 7:12 AM, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 11:48:40 -0800
> Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> This could also fit into drivers/hwmon.
>>> Looking at the HWMON subsystem there are more TMP drivers there
>>> (TMP102/103/108/401/513).
>>> The first 3 seem a bit more similar to TMP117 (in terms of register map).
>>>

>> It would probably be better suited for hwmon (it has limit registers,
>> suggesting a common use as hardware monitoring device).
> It is a curious part.  I suspect TI based their design for a medical grade
> digital thermometer chip on an existing hwmon part.
>
> The limit registers are very simple so could be supported by IIO.
> This sits somewhere in the middle of high end thermocouple chips which
> tend to be in IIO and typically lower accuracy / range hwmon parts.
>
> It's in the fuzzy borderline region so I doubt anyone would raise strong
> objections to which subsystem it was in.  Guenter has fallen on the
> hwmon side of things and I'm fine with that.

On the other side, it turns out that there is already tmp107 support
in iio, and tmp107 is pretty much the spi equivalent of the same chip.
So it really depends on the use case. If the user wants to use the iio
subsystem, I am fine with it. We just need to remind people that this
implies no or only limited hwmon support.

[ I really need to spend the time to write a hwmon->iio bridge.
  The iio->hwmon bridge is a bit limited - I have not been able to
  figure out how to support limit registers (or event values)
  and events, and I don't think it is possible. ]

Guenter