Re: IIO Driver for TMP117 Temperature sensor

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 6:10 PM Puranjay Mohan <puranjay12@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have this TI's TMP117 sensor with me and I was thinking about writing an
> IIO driver for it as a hobby project. Is the IIO subsystem the correct
> place for this driver? if yes, can someone help me get started with this,
> I haven't written an IIO driver before. I have this sensor and also a
> raspberry pi with me for testing.

This could also fit into drivers/hwmon.
Looking at the HWMON subsystem there are more TMP drivers there
(TMP102/103/108/401/513).
The first 3 seem a bit more similar to TMP117 (in terms of register map).

Let's see what others have to add.
But, all-in-all whatever driver you end up writing, the easiest method
is to copy an existing similar driver and extend it.
Sometimes, a part can be added to an existing driver.
At a quick scan through existing drivers, it doesn't look like TMP117
is similar to existing drivers, so it may require a new driver
altogether.
I may have missed something though.

Thanks
Alex