Re: new device support doubts

On Tue, 2019-08-06 at 08:57 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:

> The hwmon subsystem is not the appropriate subsystem to report charge
> levels
> (measured in Ampere-seconds as far as I can see). hwmon is about
> hardware
> monitoring.
>
> I am not in favor of supporting single-shot measurements in the first
> place. Most chips support it, but it is hardly ever supported by
> drivers,
> for the most part because power savings are negligible and the
> downside
> of supporting it (programming complexity, delayed readings) is
> substantial.

I see. Then I guess I will (at least for now) drop single shot mode
since it's just adding complexity and I actually though the power
savings were better.

> What is your use case for both requirements (reporting charge levels
> and single-shot mode) ? Both seem mutually exclusive.

I don't have, yet, a use case for charge reporting. I was just asking
because the device supports it and I saw it's not a standard hwmon type
(although almost all the other measured types are). But I guess it can
be used to monitor a battery attached on the ltc2947. So, if I end up
adding a charge attribute, would it be a "no go" for accepting the
driver upstream?

Thanks,
Nuno Sá