Re: hwmon: trace event support?

On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 11:58:47AM -0700, Nicolin Chen wrote:

> > > Yes, my idea is to implement it with the _info API inside the hwmon
> > > core. What do you think about the mentioned solution? Would you be
> > > in favor of a polling work queue?
> > >
> > > "----------. Similar to tz->poll_queue in thermal_core, hwmon core
> > >  could also have a work queue polling the registered sensor inputs
> > >  (by default disabled; enabled only if users configure poll_delay)
> > >  so that the power data can be generated to Ftrace outputs as well."
> > >

> > I am not really in favor of it. This goes well beyond tracing. Tracing
> > by its nature should be non-invasive and impact the system as little as
> > possible. Adding a thread which polls thermal sensors, which are often
> > connected with a slow i2c interface or even blocking, is quite invasive.
> >
> > I don't mind adding tracing support to trace sensor access. Adding code
> > to poll thermal sensors on a regular basis is a completely different
> > beast. I am not convinced that this should really be done in the kernel.
> > The same could be accomplished with a simple loop from userspace.
>
> I ain't 100% convinced either. I think at this point we can just
> insert a trace event to the hwmon_attr_show(), unless there is a
> substantial polling queue in the hwmon core as thermal_core has,
> although I am not sure what would be a legit reason to add one.
>
> > while true; do
> > 	cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/temp1_input
> > 	sleep 1
> > done
>
> The power/perf folks were asking about something hands-free, as
> neither thermal nor cpufreq requires extra readings or polling,
> but I feel this should work for them too, reluctantly though.

... the difference being that both are active kernel subsystems,
meaning they do something on their own, while hwmon is by its nature
passive unless triggered by userspace or, sometimes, interrupts.

> > ... and you could actually trace those accesses in the kernel.
> >
> > Now, if the problem is added overhead due to requiring a sysfs access
> > for each sensor read, we can discuss introducing a different and more
> > efficient user-space ABI (such as adding a hwmon->iio bridge).
> > That would however be a different discussion.
>
> Yea, that's beyond the topic yet it sounds more interesting for
> certain people I guess, considering the fact that there are two
> ina2xx drivers in both hwmon and iio subsystems.

This of course is quite undesirable, and a solution permitting
support for both ABIs with a single driver would be quite useful.

Guenter