Re: [libgpiod,v1.6.x,0/3] build: fix compile issues against non-glibc

On 2/25/23 6:10 AM, Bartosz Golaszewski wrote:
> I applied patch 2/3 as it's a fix. For the rest of them - my goal for
> the v1.6.x series is to not support it anymore, than is absolutely
> necessary - that means no new features and android build looks like
> one to me. Any chance you can carry this locally?

Sure, we don't mind. But I'd like to gently remind that a lot of device
manufacturers like us have platforms that are unfortunately stuck on
older kernel versions that don't have the v2 IOCTLs.

Are there plans to introduce backwards compatibility to libgpiod v2
to support pre-5.10 kernels without v2 IOCTLs? I assume no based on
your talk from July since there's a major data model re-architecture.

Anyways, as an aside it would be nice to note in the README about the
5.10-or-later requirement for libgpiod v2 (apologies if it's mentioned
and I missed it).

I didn't learn about the compatibility gap until I tested libgpiod v2
tools on-device and found that they failed without a sufficiently new
kernel. Bummer as I was looking forward to being able to reference
GPIOs by just the labels in the CLI!

> For v2.x I'm open to adding it but have a couple comments, see the
> relevant email threads.

Thanks, will respond there.

Ben