Re: activity status for pinctrl-microchip-sgpio

On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 08:47:25PM +0200, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> + Linus and Bart for the starter

Thanks Andy.

Updating this thread with the current information from a side-channel
email with Lars Povlsen (paraphrased)

> On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 5:58 PM Colin Foster
> <colin.foster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm taking a look at the pinctrl-microchip-sgpio driver. After
> > converting it to regmap, it was quite simple to finish support for the
> > VSC7512 MFD RFCs I've been sending out. As it currently stands, I expect
> > that patch set to get chopped up and submitted for 5.18 due to
> > end-of-year schedules.
> >
> > I don't know how the other chips that use the sgpio driver operate, but
> > the primary function as I see it for the VSC7512 is the activity LED. It
> > seems like that functionality was initially planned by way of:
> >
> > static const char * const functions[] = { "gpio" };
> >
> > Has there been, or is there expected to be any work to add this
> > feature? If there is, I'll be able to focus on PCS ports next. If not,
> > I'll spend some time on activity LED functionality.

Yes, this was the intent. It doesn't seem like there is anyone currently
trying to implement this right now, so it s probably a good task for me to
pick up.

> > Is this a feature that'll be desired for SPARX5 and LUTON? Or just
> > Ocelot? If it is Ocelot-only it would seem like a flag in sgpio_priv is
> > necessary. If it is for everything, then extra parameters in
> > sgpio_properties.regoff[] would seem like the way forward.

Implementing this feature for all products is desired. I will take this
into consideration during my design.

I'm sure there'll be some optional DT parameters needed - duty cycle,
blink mode, etc. I'm not sure if starting with "50% duty cycle, 10Hz
blink rate" is enough for most use-cases.