Re: Moving pinctrl node under syscon for UniPhier pinctrl driver

Hi Linus,

>> But, this effectively breaks the current DT binding.
>
> Does it really? What matters is if it still works after the change.

Yes.
I use syscon_node_to_regmap().
I want to get the regmap of the parent node, not of itself.

>> [1] Add the new binding support with a new compatible string.
>>     (note the old binding is still supported for backward compatibility)
>>
>> [2] Wait a couple of releases, keeping both of the two bindings
>>
>> [3] Drop the old binding support
>>
>> If it is OK, I want to move it forward.
>
> It is OK with *ME* because I'm just the GPIO maintainer and I'm
> not really picky about breaking DT ABI's, I think you need to crack
> a few eggs to make an omelet from time to time.
>
> The problem is rather the devicetree people: do *THEY* accept
> this?

This case is really an SoC-specific matter.
I hope it is acceptable because I am not disturbing other vendors at all.

I broke another DT before on my board,
https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/2/25/89
in this discussion, Olof said it is a good practice
to keep the old binding around, but I do not have to
keep it forever.

I am not sure how strict devicetree people are, though.

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada