Re: [libgpiod][RFC/RFT 00/18] dbus: add GLib-based DBus daemon and command-line client

On Fri, Jun 28, 2024 at 6:16 PM Sverdlin, Alexander
<alexander.sverdlin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Bartosz!
>
> On Fri, 2024-04-12 at 14:27 +0200, Bartosz Golaszewski wrote:
> > This has been in the works for a long time but I'm finally ready to share it
> > with the world. This introduces the DBus API definition and its implementation
> > in the form of a GPIO manager daemon and a companion command-line client as
> > well as GLib bindings to libgpiod which form the base on which the former are
> > built.
>
> Thanks a lot for your efforts!
>
> > Finally we add the DBus code that's split into the daemon and command-line
> > client. I added some examples to the README and documented the behavior in
> > the help text of the programs as well as documented the interface file with
> > XML comments that gdbus-codegen can parse and use to generate docbook output.
>
> To me it looks like the long time anticipated replacement of [persistent]
> SYSFS userspace API finally landed and one can start thinking about phasing
> out the API declared obsolete in Linux v4.8 ;-)

That's precisely the goal.

> I've compiled gpio-manager and gpiocli for TI am625 (arm64) and tested on
> some HW one may compare to Beagle Play.
>
> To me it looks solid, no problems whatsoever noticed up to now, even though
> some non-obvious limitations do exist
> ("gpiocli request: all requested lines must belong to the same chip"), but
> this probably can either be justified in documentation or improved even
> after merging.

Awesome, thank you!

> Will be happy to provide Tested-by: as soon as you send the series for
> merging!

Thanks, please take a look at v2 as well[1]!

Bart

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-gpio/20240628-dbus-v2-0-c1331ac17cb8@xxxxxxxxxx/