Re: [libgpiod][RFC/RFT 00/18] dbus: add GLib-based DBus daemon and command-line client

Hello Bartosz!

On Fri, 2024-04-12 at 14:27 +0200, Bartosz Golaszewski wrote:
> This has been in the works for a long time but I'm finally ready to share it
> with the world. This introduces the DBus API definition and its implementation
> in the form of a GPIO manager daemon and a companion command-line client as
> well as GLib bindings to libgpiod which form the base on which the former are
> built.

Thanks a lot for your efforts!

> Finally we add the DBus code that's split into the daemon and command-line
> client. I added some examples to the README and documented the behavior in
> the help text of the programs as well as documented the interface file with
> XML comments that gdbus-codegen can parse and use to generate docbook output.

To me it looks like the long time anticipated replacement of [persistent]
SYSFS userspace API finally landed and one can start thinking about phasing
out the API declared obsolete in Linux v4.8 ;-)

I've compiled gpio-manager and gpiocli for TI am625 (arm64) and tested on
some HW one may compare to Beagle Play.

To me it looks solid, no problems whatsoever noticed up to now, even though
some non-obvious limitations do exist
("gpiocli request: all requested lines must belong to the same chip"), but
this probably can either be justified in documentation or improved even
after merging.

Will be happy to provide Tested-by: as soon as you send the series for
merging!

--
Alexander Sverdlin
Siemens AG