Re: [fuse-devel] [RFC] fuse: Support posix ACLs

On Jun 29 2016, ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Eric W. Biederman) wrote:
> "Michael j Theall" <mtheall@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Going by the patch I posted a couple of years ago:
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/fuse/mailman/message/33033653/
>>
>> The only hole I see in your patch is that in setattr() you are not
>> updating the cached acl if the ATTR_MODE is updated. The other major
>> difference is that my version uses the get_acl/set_acl inode
>> operations but you use that plus the xattr handlers. I'm not
>> up-to-speed on the kernel so I'm not sure if you actually need to
>> implement both.
>
> That makes an interesting question.  Is it desirable to keep
> inode->i_mode in sync with the posix acls in fuse or should a filesystem
> that supports posix acls worry about that?

A FUSE file system should be able to support ACLs without requiring the
file system process to do more than support extended attributes. I
believe this means that the kernel should keep i_mode and the ACLs in
sync -- it would be a rather bug prone and redundant for each FUSE file
system to implement its own parser for format in which the ACLs are
stored in xattrs.

Best,
-Nikolaus